Monday, April 11, 2011

Money Can Buy Love?!


Apparently, one of the authors of Yahoo's Shine! Love & Sex section came upon a new site...a "dating" site called What's Your Price.  It's a site in which guys are named The Generous, while woman are categorized as The Attractive.  The Attractive name their price of how much money is acceptable for a man to "bid" in order to take them out on a first date.  The men, in turn, offer dollar amounts that they would pay. 

Ok, it was kind of cute back in the day when people use to bid on dates for non-profit orgs and major fundraisers for the higher society upper-class.  But even then, it put people in an ego-boosting, and sometimes ego-shattering spotlight.  I mean, when you're standing on a stage, and the announcer looks at you and goes, we'll start the bidding at 50$, you wonder wow...and my mom used to say that love was priceless!  Well guess again Princess, we valued you at 50$.  In 2011, that's a date for two at Applebees, with a round of drinks and dessert.  What a keeper he'll turn out to be!

And I'm not knockin' on the Applebee's dude, because honestly, I'm low-maintenance, I don't need a big spender.  But make yourself look good, and offer up a little more than just a date at a "Grill and Bar".  Let me know that if you were to take me out to dinner, you'd offer up an Italian restaurant before I say, "Aw that's sweet, but don't go crazy hun"

Sorry, let's land the plane here.  The point of this whole thing is simple.  What are we coming to if we now have to bid on an attractive woman via website just to get a first date?  It's bad enough that people are apprehensive about using sites like Match and Chemistry.  I mean hey, I tried my own hand at the free OkCupid, but I deactivated it when I realized, I was leaving the most important part of my life to a website! 

I'm a little old school, I still believe that love is more valuable than looking at a man's profile image and sending a wink, or a hi via e-mail or message.  I want to meet you face to face, see your body type, hear your laughter, hold a conversation with you and look at your facial expressions as you tell me embarrassing stories and what-not.  To think, that we now gain to profit off of attempts at finding it?  Yeah, I'm kind of just as disgusted as the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment